Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Digg Share on StumbleUpon Share on Delicious Comment Box Rollover

I get out?
I get out?!

{Thump.}

{pitter patter pitter patter pitter patter}
::door creaks::

A monkey’s silhouette stands in the darkened doorway – little jammy clad legs, tousled hair standing on end. I look at the clock on my nightstand. 1:30am. Even at 1:30am, it’s too cute not to smile.

Ese?
Silence and then full volume:
I GET OUT!

{pitter patter pitter patter pitter patter}

And then the little 26 lb wonder dives into my bed.

I know if I let him stay it’s game over for me for at least a few months. I scoop him up, throw him over my shoulder, and march back to his bed, where he stays.

For two minutes. Just as I start to drift back off, he’s back.

This happens over and over again until 3:00 am. Holler if you hear me.

We’ve tried a big boy bed. Twice. For lengthy increments until we just couldn’t take it any longer. He himself admits that he’s just not ready for that kind of responsibility. You’ve got to respect the kid for knowing himself.
child escape from crib, getting out of crib at night, climbing out of crib
He’s 23 months old. He won’t stay in his crib and the big boy bed won’t contain him. I’m screwed.

It’s been a while since I wrote. I celebrated my thirtieth birthday earlier in the month, and I so desperately wanted to write to tell you all about it. I haven’t had the energy, especially since I’m now as sleep deprived as a mother of a newborn. And so now, instead of writing something thoughtful or worthy of your eyes, I’m finally coming back here, but with a plea. I need rest. I need to write again. HELP ME!

It seems I’m out of luck. The only solution I’ve found was recalled this week. Since the Tots in Mind crib tent was recalled for pretty serious reasons, I won’t be risking it. I’m stuck with a child under three who won’t stay in his bed. He’s unsafe wandering the house at night (which happens a lot more with the big boy bed), and he’s unsafe hopping out of his crib. And co-sleeping with a child over six months old just doesn’t work for our family.

Help me! Have you been in this situation? Do you have a solution to share? Thanks in advance for saving my life.

Filed under: Parenting
97 Comments

97 Responses to Seeking a Crib Tent Alternative (I have an escape artist)

1. phoebz4 says:

I admit, with our escape artist, we did have a big crib tent over the crib.

My only other thought is maybe put a baby gate in his room and put the mattress on the floor, then seriously babyproof that room. It's what I did with my special needs daughter, who was too big for the crib, but not safe to wander the house along (or even navigate the stairs by herself.) She could open the door and call for us if need be, but not leave the room.

• Susan Bianchini says:

My problem is with my very well coordinated and climbing 2 year old granddaughter, who gets out of her crib here, then destroys my bedroom. So I have to carry out all my jewelry and anything else of value before her naps and this is getting old. She also has found all my makeup and used it and generally is destroying my bedroom and bath. I spent this week researching the crib tent, which my sister said she used, but found it was recalled. I used to use a great belt years ago that tied onto the bed and allowed the child to roll over, sit up, just not fall off regular beds when we travelled or went to friends' for dinner. That too was recalled. I take care of her 2-5 days a week, but may invest in this Australian crib tent, just hate to put the holes in my ceiling, or this ugly floor model and get rid of the crib completely. She is so close to being in a regular bed, but not yet.

• Susan Bianchini says:

This Aussie crib tent worries me, since it is affixed to the ceiling and goes inside the crib.

• Michelle says:

Hi, I am the designer of the Aussie crib net that did fix to the ceiling and this design was very good. I have a new design that is self supporting and dose not fix to the ceiling I call it the crib popup safety net and it has been quality tested and is certified safe. I invite you all to vie it at my website. I welcome your feed back.

• jeffrese says:

There is a Kickstarter project aimed at solving the crib tent problem with an innovative and simple alternative solution. Basically PJs with stretchy fabric between the legs to prevent babies from throwing one leg over the side of the crib to escape. Search for Crib Pants on Kickstarter or try this link: http://kck.st/ZZUgat

• Michelle says:

Hi, these may work for some toddlers but not many, I have suggested to parents to try using a sleeping bag to help keep the toddlers feet down in the crib, but even that only worked on some.

• Michelle says:

Hi, I agree with prevention and if your toddler is continually climbing out of his crib this is an accident waiting to happen, so many things can and do happen causing serious injury and even death. Don't wait go strait to a mattress on the floor or to a safe Aussie crib popup safety net it is certified safe and quality tested.

2. RobynT says:

I was thinking mattress on the floor+baby gate+baby proof too. My daughter's only 13 months, but we've been doing mattress on the floor since about 9 months (not cuz she ever climbed out of her crib, but for other reasons). Her room is pretty well babyproofed (of course as her skills change, we are always realizing we need to do more). As she gets more mobile, I think we may have to do the baby gate.

3. Marta28 says:

Does he say why he comes out? Just because he wants to, or because he wants to be with you? I'm wondering if you can somehow reason with him. Yes, I'm asking you to as sleep deprived mother to reason with an almost 2 year old. Its worth a try. Otherwise, I suppose you could do the baby gate thing, except he can't really get back in his crib so he's eventually going to fall asleep on the floor. Not sure if that's really what you want…

4. DC Celine says:

Dude. We're there. We're also hoping big boy bed helps. Our "alert" is "Mama. Bed. Out."

That's nice, dear, now LET ME SLEEP.

We were just persistent. It's not consistent, but we're getting through it. Oh wait! I forgot (sleep deprivation) that we used stickers. BIG sticker if you stay in bed all night, little one if you go back to sleep quietly when you do get out. His sister getting stickers but not him eventually worked. Ish.

5. marisa says:

We used to do the baby gate on the door/mattress on the floor thing. The people we just bought our house from tho said they used to keep sleeping bags on the floor in their room, and I thought that was an excellent idea. Co-sleeping isn't necessarily bed-sharing….

6. marisa says:

Just put L to sleep and had a thought for you. If the "big boy" bed is too much for him why not throw the crib mattress on the floor inside a little play/sleeping tent. There are even travel beds like this that I don't believe open from the inside and you can zip shut. I know when we did the mattress on the floor thing I surrounded it with a bunch of stuffed animals so it wouldn't feel so "big" and intimidating. Just a thought I just had…

7. Melissa says:

I was devastated this morning when I found out the Crib Tent had been recalled! I immediately went online and started searching for an alternative. Here is a possible solution…. The Nickel bed tent by Ready, Set, Bloom. It is actually for special needs children; however, I don't see why it couldn't be used for special "escape artist toddlers"?!? It's a bit more expensive than the Crib Tent ($159) and quite a bit uglier (red, blue, & silver)… but if it works, then I guess I can tolerate the colors. Plus, it fits over a twin size mattress. Take a look… http://myreadysetbloom.com/

• Darby says:

That ready set bloom bed looks awesome! Did anyone here try it? I think I’ll give them a call because their site isn’t convincing enough about the sturdiness of the aluminum frame.

• Rose says:

This looks like a great alternative

• Kristen says:

I just ordered one! Back ordered at the moment but looks like a lifesaver! Thanks!!

• jeffrese says:

• Keke says:

My 22 month old wears a sleep sack to bed– and he still climbs out. He pulls up using only his arms. My solution is to remove his mattress (so he sleeps lower in the crib) and replace it with eggshell material and a thick blanket. We are also putting Vaseline along the crib rails so it is too slippery for him to grip with his hands. My first child climbed out of the crib at 9 months old. We tried various approaches and finally got the now recalled Crib Tent when she was 18 months– and she LOVED it. It worked beautifully, and made her feel so safe & secure. It ripped after a few months, and we purchased the Ready.Set.Bloom tent and moved her into a kid sized bed. She loved that, as well.

• CH. says:

We have ordered the Ready Set Bloom tent for our special needs daughter and, after waiting 6 months for it to arrive (we actually thought we had been scammed as long as it took), it was of very poor quality. Material was no thicker than a kid's play tent and the bottom ripped out the 1st time we used it. It's been an absolute nightmare getting a refund or replacement of better quality. We would NOT recommend these tents to anyone…cheaply made for the high cost.

8. Jamie Ryan says:

I'm curious if you found a solution…I was googling this morning and found your blog. My 21 month old has been climbing out since she was 15 months. We immediately got the crib tent but it broke last week. When I went online to buy a new one I found out about the recall. Scary! We have her room completely child-proofed but she just isn't ready for this. Before this, she was a great sleeper. Now it is taking her hours to fall asleep and if she wakes up in the middle of the night, she isn't going back to sleep. Last night she got up at 1am and never went back to sleep. I did 'cry it out' till 4 but then I couldn't take it anymore. Anyway, would love to hear what you solution was…

• Kate says:

Jamie, thanks for finding me. No, sadly, I haven’t found a solution, and I need one. Desperately. Please let me know if you’ve found one.

9. Carol says:

I just realized the crib tents have been recalled and found this Aussie version that seems to have been around for a while. http://www.babycribsafetynet.com. I am tempted to try it, just a little nervous without knowing someone that has already tried it. I don't want to wait until my kid has a broken bone from slamming onto his face as he falls out. He is 14 months.

Good Luck.
    Mom in Pittsburgh

10. Mom in Raleigh says:

I have 16 month old boy/girl twins and my son just climbed out of his crib yesterday during his nap. It scared me so bad… I immediately called my sleep coach (Pam Diamond – awesome resource!) who suggested I remove his bumper (it was the skinny breathable kind, but might have given him enough leverage/ height) and try him in a sleep sack (which come in sizes up to 36lbs I believe) so he can't swing his leg over the side of the crib. I tried that yesterday and it has worked so far. But, I'm still paranoid and I'm considering the Aussie sleep tent if the sleep sack doesn't do the trick. Also, I'm considering switching is crib out, if I can find a model with slightly higher sides. Hope this helps. Good luck.

11. Katie says:

There’s the peapod travel tent. We’ve used a similar one for our 30 month old when we travel, as he is too big for a travel crib, and would never stay put in a toddler bed or nest. I would use it for a younger baby, who could roll over, but not necessarily back- there was one death reported of a very young infant, but none of older babies. My son just recently develop real climbing skills, and I now believe he could climb out, if he thought of it. If he does, I always have the tent to fall back on at home. Sleep is so important, for you and for them. My children become grouches when they don’t get enough sleep! He may be old enough to understand sleep rules (ie stay in bed all night), and rewards, and he may still be a little young. If you try it, make the rules simple. If it doesn’t work at first, try changing the reward: they helped us for some time to get our 24 month old to nap and to get him to fall asleep faster at night. Good luck.

12. Jenn says:

anybody ever used te door locks so you can get into babies room but they can't get out? I completely baby proofed my son's and there wasn't much he could get into…then I knew he wasn't roaming the house…

13. Ann says:

Hi, KW, we are about to try to do the same thing- lay the mattress down on the floor inside the crib. When we tested it today, we found there to be a little gap between the mattress and the bottom of the crib. Our solution is going to build a small platform to lay the mattress down on so there is no longer a gap. Lets hope this works!

14. Cris says:

I put our babies 3 in 1 crib backwards against the wall and zip tied a portable table to the exposed side. Not pretty but did the trick.

15. Kristin says:

these look awesome, but out of my budget ;) http://www.cyrdesigns.com/

16. jennie says:

I am also the mommy of twins who are 20 months old. They were premie's and they both have a speech delay, and are not communicating enough yet to get them to understand they need to stay in their beds. I got sooooooo stressed it was ridiculous trying to keep them in bed and they are quite clearly noooooot ready. These moms that say just put them in a toddler bed now make me very angry. You come to my house and give it a try with twins and I guarentee you would need a crib tent too. I am sooooooooo upset crib tents are no longer available. My husband and I are going to have to try to make something :( I hate this. I wish a company with come up with a safer version of the crib tent. They probably will after I have done lost my freaking mind :(

17. dawn says:

Kudos to everyone who has put forth suggestions. I too have an escape artist. My 30 month old son just successfully started started climbing out his crib. He tried once before when he was younger but bumped his head scared him into not trying until now. I have thought of trying the mattress on the floor but i’m afraid something bites him (something already has iwith his bed as it is). Then there is the aussie tent. My only problem with is that can anyone tell me how the top is being held up? I If iit suspended from the ceiling like a mosquito net, what is stopping the child from pulling it down and becoming entangled? He is also a Picasso of poop who shares a room with my 15 month old daughter. His crib was containment of such episodes ( i am down to 2 min sterilizing time)but now we stand to have poop everywhere in the room if he goes to a big boy bed. My husband and i work opposite shifts so i need the peace of mind that when i go to work, he and my newborn can sleep peacefully. HELP ME PLS

• michelle says:

get the PJs that zip up the back

• Kim says:

Dawn! Our son started playing with his poop at the approx. age of 24 mo. We did just about everything from the pjs on backward (he would pull his arms in and play with the poop INSIDE the pjs) to wrapping packing tape over the pjs and under his arms fairly snuggly so he couldn't pull his arms through. Grrrrr! We eventually bit the bullet and went to a toddler bed. This solved our problem. Our son though is a great sleeper…..until recently which is why I'm here.

18. NinaB says:

So glad I came across this thread. I have 2-1/2 yr old twins and one is an escape artist. I thought the problem was solved when we borrowed a friend's old crib tent- which was missing a pole and did not fit our crib well– but whatever, we kind of assembled it and it was working. Finally, twins were napping again. Well, when the zipper broke and our monkey started climbing out again and keeping his brother up, I went online to order a new one and found out they were recalled! Knowing this, I can't in good conscious go back to using it. I will try turning the 3-in-1 around and if that doesn't work dropping the mattress to the floor.
    On a side note, one of the twins is in a drop side crib, but it was a very expensive and seemingly sturdy one that our older child used for 3 years and never had an issue with. I swear, I feel like everything seems to pose some risk and/or eventually gets recalled. Scary.

19. Michelle says:

why nt use a real one man tent? Zipping from bottom to top, zipper pull left on outside of tent out of reach. I would leave it up and all the windows unzipped to see whats going on inside as well as little one to not feel alone. Also by adding a toddler matterious inside this will add extra comfort. just my 1st fast thought

20. Janica says:

I have had two escape artists, when my oldest son was 22 months he started climbing out of his crib. I has a newborn at the time, so just could not get up with him at 5am. My handy husband and crafty mom built him a crib tent out of pcp pipe and fabric resembling fish net. He made the frame with pcp pipe then secured it to the crib with twisty ties, then secured the fabric to the frame. We left one side open and after he was in would push the crib against the wall. We made sure there was no way he could push on it and fall out and that there were no other hazards. It was very secure and saved my sanity! I now have a 22 month old who used to be a great sleeper, but after being sick last month refused to stay in his crib. After trying several things I read Healthy Sleep Habit Healthy Child and have been trying Dr. Weissbluth’s method of silently returning him to his crib. The first night took over an hour, but each night has been less. He has gotten where eventually he will fall asleep without having to see us, but still comes into our room a few times each night. The first time he falls right back asleep, the second takes about 10 minutes and the 3rd it’s after my husband is up so I let him get in bed with me. (Which I don’t like) So he has improved, but I am debating about whether or not to have my husband build another crib tent this weekend. We still have the fabric, just not the pcp pipes. So I would suggest try the SILENT return to sleep (they want your attention, even negative) or be innovative and build your own crib tent, making sure it’s safe of course! Good luck!!!

21. AJ says:

I too had a few escape artists. What worked best for us, and was the easiest solution, was a wearable blanket. If they can’t lift their leg up to climb out then they have to stay in their bed. On one wearable blanket it was pretty roomy at the bottom and my child eventually was able to still climb out. I just quickly sewed down the sides to make it narrower at the bottom so she couldnt lift her leg up high enough to get it over the crib rail and it fixed the problem. When they figure out the zipper and can take it off on their own flip the blanket around backwards and they can’t reach the zipper.

22. Gillian says:

Kate

What did you ultimately end up doing? My 20 month old has figured out how to climb out of the crib but I am not ready to put her in a bed. Help!

• Kate says:

I ended up gritting my teeth, proofing all the furniture and getting two twin beds. We then put a camera in their room and a gate at the door. We kept a consistent routine, got them in bed early did plenty of stories. It took us several months, but now both boys have a great routine. They are now 2.5 and 3.5 and they know exactly what to expect at bedtime and when they wake up in the morning. Best of all, they are safe and we don’t have to schlep a whole bunch of gear everywhere if we stay over night somewhere.

• Kate says:

Hi everyone! Thanks for commenting here. I wanted to say that we eventually moved the kids to two twin beds, carefully baby proofed the whole room and put a gate at the door. We did this around 24 months. Ese fell out a few times but then got the hang of it. The gate at the door was actually really comforting for the kids. They recognized that they have boundaries and really started to re-enter into a routine once we re-established bedtime (books, songs, sleep). We also got a sleep calendar with sticker incentives so that the kids could be proud of staying in their own beds all night. Ese will be 3 in June, so if you can make it past 2 years, it's smooth sailing, I promise.

23. Lisa says:

I am late to the game here, but thought I'd share this secure bed tent I found by accident.

It was designed for special needs kids, but it would have been a lifesaver for my family last fall. We have twins who trashed 6 (SIX!) crib tents prior to the crib tents being recalled. After the kids demolished the last 2 crib tents and the company was out if business, we had no choice but to move the kids to toddler beds. What followed were four of the most trying months of my life. Now that my children are going to bed with no problems, I don't need a product like this. But I bet lots of other people do! Yes, it's expensive, but I would have paid almost anything to avoid the three-hour bedtime routine we went through many nights.

I wrote to the Ready Set Bloom company jus now and suggested that they add key words to their site so more desperate families can find them with their Google searches!

24. amy says:

Is it dangerous to just put the mattress on the floor (but still within the confines of the crib walls) like some people were mentioning? I just don't want to do anything that could potentially hurt my son, but I don't think he's mentally ready for a toddler bed.

25. Rose says:

What about a dog crate? Seriously. They are pretty safe and the toddlers love playing in them.

• Matt says:

You can use a plastic dog crate. With a metal gate and metal side vents. I think I would stay clear of the portable collapsible ones.

26. Fine article post! Proper baby care is a vital factor for every parent. Comfortable and luxurious bed and seat is useful for baby. Thanks!

27. Alisha says:

My little guy is 20 months old and climbed out of his crib for the first time last night. I was still up watching TV downstairs when I heard the thump of him falling to the floor! Thankfully, I made it to the second floor landing before he attempted to come down the stairs! He wasn’t crying and didn’t appear hurt from the crib escape, but it still scared me out of my mind! Needless to say, I had a VERY restless night last night (he slept with me and hubby) because I refused to put him back in his crib in fear he’d climb out again. I’ve read through all of the comments and there are several great suggestions. Here are the three (in the order that I plan to try) that I think would be the most simple, effective, and safe:

1) A large pajama/sleep sack so little one can’t kick his/her leg over the crib rail. HALO makes pajama sacks for babies/toddlers and “big kids” up to 2-3 T. They can be purchased from their website: halosleep.com. I’ve even found them on Amazon and EBay.

2) Turning the convertible crib (if you have one) to the toddler/daybed position and pushing the open side against the wall. This only works if the convertible crib has one side taller than the other. Fortunately, ours is and it’s too high for our little one to kick his leg over it. The only thing I worry about with this alternative is him pushing against the wall to move the bed to get out. We have tile floor in the bedrooms and it wouldn’t take much strength for the crib to slide away from the wall. If this happens, we’re back to square one with a roaming toddler.

3) Putting the crib mattress on the floor in a one man tent (yes, the kind used for camping) and zipping it up from the outside. This is probably my least favorite out of the alternate options because I think it would scare my son and make him scream bloody murder, but if I could find a tent with zippered mesh windows, he could see out and I could see in. I’d likely set the tent up in my room for added peace of mind. We’re talking safety here. If it takes zipping up my little guy in a tent overnight to keep him from taking a fall down the stairs, playing with his older brother’s marble collection, or getting into toxic substances while the rest of the family is sleeping, I’ll do it!

I think I’ll start with the pajama sleep sack first. Good luck to you all and thanks for all the great suggestions!

28. Heather says:

I know this was posted a while ago, but did you ever find a solution? My daughter will go to bed for my husband but not for me. He has to travel for the next few weeks and I have a newborn. I'm at a loss and got 3 hours of sleep last night. They literally took turns all night (which isn't as bad as at the same time I guess). I just looked up a crib tent and found it recalled. My brain isn't functioning to figure anything else out. Any help would be very appreciated.

• Dave says:

Heather, it sounds like an overwhelming position to be in, at least in the short term. How about removing everything from their room for the time being, and installing a baby gate, at least so they can't leave the room, and you have some peace knowing their safe?

Can you take the mattress out of the crib and put it on the floor? Then disassemble the crib and remove it for now?

I assume your newborn is still with you in your bedroom?

At least then, when your husband returns, you can think it out together.

btw, I've only been a dad for 18mo, but it just seems like a logical approach to remove the threats and start over.

29. Kim says:

Hello everyone! I, like so many here, am at a loss. I've been battling my 30 month old son for about 4 months now (or longer, it's a guess at this point). He's in a toddler bed as my 16 month old daughter is in the crib. He's a great sleeper but every nap time and every bed time, he climbs into her bed. Our solution has been to put our daughter in the Pack & Play in our room until he's asleep. Now she isn't so keen on the P&P and wants to fall asleep in her bed. Understandable. He used to scoot his toddler bed across the hardwood floor to her crib and climb in. We screwed his bed to the wall knowing it was only a matter of time until he figured out he can scoot her crib to his bed. This was all fine as you could here the "scooting" on the hardwood floor. Now he's figured out how to move that dang crib without a single sound! I stay home with the kids and AM FED UP with the battle. My husband says that we should just continue the war. I'm about ready to divorce him! (just kidding) I can't take it anymore!!!!! I think I'm going to try the camping tent idea with the mattress inside. My little boy has been talking about "camping" so we may play that angle up. Wish me luck!

Oh, and for those who have early risers, here was our solution: We got a timer that plugs into your outlet that you plug a light into. It's the programmable type that you use while on vacation so the lights turn on and off and bad people think you're home. We bought an inexpensive desk lamp that sits on the dresser. We talked about it being night time and time for bed when it's dark outside. We told him that he has to stay in bed until the light turns on. It took three mornings of putting him back in bed and telling him the light needed to be on for him to stay put. Now, like clock work, the light automatically turns on at 7:15 and there's pitter-patter of feet on the floor. Not a minute before.

Hang in there everyone!

30. Nature does not cocker us: we are children, not pets: she is not fond: everything is dealt to us without fear or else favor, following stern worldwide laws

31. Mr says:

I would still feel safe using a crib tent. The thing they don’t tell you about deaths involving these baby items is that in most, if not all cases the product was assembled wrong or being used incorrectly. The other thing they don’t tell you is how many deaths and injuries occurred from children who could escape their beds. Not just deaths and injuries from falling out of the bed or crib, but injuries incurred after, like falling down stairs, getting into things or places they shouldn’t. There are things all over your house that can inure your child that have not been recalled because they are not baby items, but they cause way more deaths per year, I’d like to keep my baby away from those items while I sleep thank you.

32. jeffrese says:

33. robin says:

So I realize that this is a really old thread, but it seems to me that although it is terrible that a child died with a crib tent, they have probably saved more lives than they have hurt. A small child could easily die from climbing out of the crib and landing on a hardwood floor on their head. 1,000's of children are taken to the ER every year from falling from their cribs. It just seems like we could weigh the risks intelligently, and in some cases a crib tent is justified. Our 2 year old's room is on the first floor and we are on the second. Having him wander around the house at night when he gets out of a big kid bed does not sound safe at all to me.

34. Amazing issues here. I am very satisfied to see your article.
    Thank you a lot and I’m having a look ahead to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

35. Megan says:

1. Sleep sack, worn inside out to hide the zipper. Doubling them is also helpful. A diaper pin could be used if necessary to keep little one from unzipping the thing.
    2. Alter the neckline of the sleep sack. Gather it slightly so that the opening is smaller than her head (doesn’t need to be tight), then reinforce it with a strip of ribbon so that it no longer stretches. Voila! Houdini can no longer shimmy out of it, and can therefore NOT climb out of her crib.

36. Brandon says:

We actually converted our first born's crib at about 20 months when he first showed signs of crawling out. He slept on the floor for a few nights, but got better. I will note that we had a baby knob on his door so he was stuck in his room.

Now our second is starting to show signs of the same at 16 months. It feels a little bit harder at that point.

37. Mom of Matthew says:

I know the crib tent was recalled, but we kept using ours (and it is still on the crib as I type this) and am not worried about it at all. We could have even returned it for cash back at Walmart, but love it so much we didn’t want to part with it. The only danger is if something crawls on top of it and pushes the poles down. We don’t have anything that would do that here, and have the type of crib tent that fits under the mattress as well as over the top so there is no chance he could get his little head stuck under it. I say if nothing else works, find a crib tent II.

38. Kathleen says:

I have a child with special needs who is a little older and too big for a crib but definitely NOT safe to wandering the house at night unsupervised(!) After looking at all the special needs beds and bed tents that cost a million dollars. or are of unsafe construction, I purchased a "cot tent" from Cabelas. She loves it and I am pretty sure since she has been "contained" successfully she is actually sleeping through the night for the first time in her life. At any rate we don't hear her till morning and she is happy to go to bed and happy to wake up. It is very sturdy and certainly safe seam wise and weight wise. She likes the windows closed but it can be virtually all screen if you like. We just put a simple clip through the zipper at bedtime and voila – full nights sleep for all!!

39. Appreciating the time and effort you put into your site and
    detailed information you present. It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same unwanted rehashed material.
    Wonderful read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my
    Google account.

40. The final of the top five free family blog sites listed in this article is Live
    - Journal. Different plugins are controlled in different ways.
    My call to travel with Word Press and not with one among
    the other big blogging entities like Blogger, had the whole lot to try to to with my possessing whole control over the web site.

Feel free to visit my site :: Software Download

41. Twin Mom says:

Another mum of twins – we successfully used the "Peapod" travel beds while in hotels and simply started to use them at home the first time our world-class athlete high jumped out of his crib months and months ago. Both twins love it. We just took the side off of their Ikea cribs and put the tents in there. Truly, they are snug and cozy even when the A/C is blasting in the summer, or we put the heat down at night in the winter. They are now 27-months old and they beg us to zipper them up at night even though we have toddler-proofed the nursery! (Please attach those dressers to the walls, one couple at an airport told us how they lost a grandson that way! We took it as a sign and now all the furniture is tip proof.) If only we didn't have to worry about the fighting, they would be transitioning to toddler beds . . . Oh well. All in good time.

42. http://www.amarmielife.com/2013/09/no-more-climbi

At 4 am this morning I came up with this little invention as an alternative to a crib tent. I sure hope it helps our tired family!

43. melena says:

I don't know when you wrote this or if you've found a solution, but have you tried just mailing a bed on the floor of your room? When be wakes up he can just come into your room (not wake you up) & go back to sleep there. Of course it would take some training. It seems trying to get him to sleep thrum the night rather than trying to get him to stop crawling out of the crib might be an easier solution. All would take training on both ends but eventually will pay off for everyone. Put a bed next to his & gradually move it out night by night, wake up 5 min before he usually does and pat his back or whatever you normally do al he doesn't wake up & eventually falls out of the habit. There's a lot of books out there. Take charge of your child's sleep is a good one. Good luck I have a 3.5 year old webs just resigned to sleeping with, though when we've remained consistent & without company esp with the bedtime routine he falls asleep om his own, huge deal, & overall sleeps better.

44. This web property is actually owned by a company named Imperial E-Club Limited, which is
    based in Antigua and Barbuda. They must offer a safe and a secure gaming environment to all the
    players. I read a few websites and watched a few videos on You Tube
    about how to do this. The public is crying out to these lawmakers to change the online gambling laws.

Also visit my weblog – international removals

45. milton says:

4 words, "lock your child's door." It works. They try to get out–cry for 30mins the first time, 20 mins the next night, 10 on the third, and then they stay put.
    Alternately, listen for him to get up, beat him outside his door and scare the bejesus out of him screaming loudly how you told him not to leave his room until you return to wake in the morning. If you've done it correctly, he will not leave

46. marcus says:

Try Cribberz Anti-climbing onesies sleepware and crib pants baby clothing. http://www.cribberz.com

They work and do not add danger to your child's room.

47. Liz says:

If your kiddo cannot unzip a zipper put them in a sleep sack! That worked great for us until just now when my son figured out how to unzip his zipper and climb out of his crib-oh brother!!

• Amber says:

You can put the sleep sack on backwards… we do that for "diaper decorating" reasons. But, it has worked well for keeping our daughter in her crib.

48. xxkzbxjcsz says:

Seeking a Crib Tent Alternative (I have an escape artist) | Perpetually Nesting

xxkzbxjcsz http://www.g10r9fwm3q164kc6r01uwd6te743k94bs.org/
    [url axxkzbxjcsz

49. vbgzzgjqgp says:

Seeking a Crib Tent Alternative (I have an escape artist) | Perpetually Nesting

avbgzzgjqgp

vbgzzgjqgp http://www.g39fih00n5bbbm66yi2490li6sx62z59s.org/
    [url Reply

50. Josh says:

I have been in contact with noah's world, i'm experiencing difficulties with DME's to accept Oxford Health Plans. So frustrating!!!!!!

51. Christine says:

I have a question, my son has started climbing out of his crib and is 23 months, and we have been using a crib tent as I had no clue it was recalled, and it has started to tear. I was looking for a replacement when I found this blog. In regards to dropping the mattress to the floor, how would that work if you have a crib with a metal spring bottom instead of slats? And what would everyone suggest putting under the mattress to close the gap? I am wanting to try this first before I spend the $160 on the safer version of the crib tent, but my son is already in 4T clothes so he may be too tall for this already. :(

52. Lisa says:

I'm so glad I stumbled on this blog. I'm having this exact issue now. My son is almost 22 months old, he's been in a toddler crib bed since 18 months. He was ready, he's done really well. Fell a couple of times, the rail only covered about a quater of the bed, so I put a pool noodle under his sheet, and wahla, fixed the problem. But, a week ago we return home (to Germany, military family) from a trip to the states, and his schedule is so off! It wouldn't be a problem, just getting back on track, but he climbed over his baby gate, and climbed down two flights of stairs. We have a multi-level house. We put him back in bed, removed the gate, and closed the door. He can now reach the handle. We turned the bed around, so the rail and open part was against the wall, and he climbed and fell from the tall back part of the crib!! 3.5 hours later, after both my husband and myself took turns laying on the floor next to him, he finally fell asleep. Now I'm left with how do I keep him in his room? I too just read the tents were recalled. Putting the mattress on the floor doesn't help, because he can already get over the gate, open the door, and climb the high part of the crib!! I'm SO VERY sleep deprived and desperate for help!!!

53. dmoschak says:

Here is what we came up with! http://wp.me/p4rp15-2

54. HELEN says:

HI KATE,
    I FEEL YOUR PAIN. I SEARCH CRAIGSLIST ON THE HOUR TILL I FOUND A CRIB TENT. I HAVE TWINS, THAT AT BOTH ESCAPE ARTISTS. I THINK I WILL TRY THE AUSSIE CRIB TENT. I DOES SEEM SAFER TO ME. ALSO YOU MAY WANT TO TRY PUTTING A TEMPORARY SCREEN DOOR. WE BOUGHT THE CHEAP ONE IN MENARDS. IT HELPS KEEP THEM IN THE ROOM. MY DAUGHTER WOULD WANDER AROUND THE HOUSE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT TOO. IF YOU MAKE THEIR BEDROOM CHILD SAFE, THE SCREEN DOOR MAY WORK.
    HELEN

55. Cindy says:

These have been recalled too.

56. Kathy says:

My daughter has 21 month old twin sons who are giving them a hard time at bed-time. They both climb out of their cribs and the other night one of the boys went out into the kitchen, turned on the lights and was sitting eating an apple. Luckily my daughter noticed the light from her room and got up to check… She was so upset thinking he could have choked. She needs any great ideas to keep those two sweet little boys in their cribs. My daughter feels like she is loosing her sanity. Let me know what works for you. She has tied a sheet over the crib with tie wraps and seems to work but changing crib sheets and getting them in and out of the crib has its challenges.. HELP!!!!

57. Dyan says:

Dawn,
    We have also had a lot of poop smearing. We put on larger sized footed pajamas backwards, zipper pinned at the top with safety pins, and a button up the front shirt on over the pjs backwards, and button it all the way up. This has prevented them from reaching up the leg, and from fooling with the safety pins at the top since the collared shirt is too snug to unbutton. I know it sounds strange, but when you've cleaned up poop enough times, you are desperate for whatever will work!

58. Debbie says:

Thanks for sharing because I didn't know what to do so I tried this tonight & so far my 19 mo old son is still in there…keeping my fingers crossed!

59. Christina says:

Ingenious! I suggested doing that with my sons crib too. My hubby wasn't sure it would work, but think its our last option and I think it will work!

60. gettingold says:

Yes, switched the knob around for a year. Ours could climb over gates, open baby doorknob covers and would unlock deadbolts and even let herself out of the front or back doors if we hadn't remembered to put the high-up latches to the closed position. There was a pool in the backyard to boot. Also, she was the only one we ever had to take to the ER for getting into and eating our medicines. Just try baby proofing a whole house…there's always something. But one room is possible. Gotta keep them safe. Now years later this one is still the one the shows up next to my bed in wee early morning…at least now she's old enough to follow safety rules.

61. skyb1rd4 says:

I'm a foster mom with two unrelated toddlers that turned 2 on Christmas & a nearly 10 mos old, who all share a room. The 2 yr old girl, whom we're adopting, can pop those doorknob covers off too. My solution was to put a dab of superglue on the little tabs that connect them. Only the important ones tho, the bathroom, inside nursery door (to prevent unsupervised night time roaming, they've been climbing outta cribs, now in toddler beds) the nursery closet & hot water heater closet. So far, 3 days, lol, so good.

62. Britt says:

there have been deaths associated with all "crib tents", but since there is little regulation on India and Australia from our end, they just tell you not to buy them

63. Rose says:

This is a $7,500 bed. Crazy they want that much

64. Tonya says:

We have the city select double stroller made by baby jogger, absolutely wonderful and there are so many extra options and acessories to go with it. It is truely awesome. Will not rust all aluminum seats can face eachother or away from eachother, you can face them towards or away from the person pushing the stroller. I have a seven sling and a lucy baby sling the lucky baby is my favorite. Also have a boba carrier and adore it. You can carry them on back or front.

65. Danielle says:

Did this work for you Debbi e? I have the same issue with my 18 month old. And I don't feel that its safe to leave her on a mattress in the middle of room with a gate. I want her contained to a crib.

66. Danielle says:

How did you put your child in the crib if the one side was high and the other side was against the wall?

67. Penny says:

Do you still want to sell the one that was recalled?

68. Ndn says:

Brilliant idea KW–I have two mattresses that I can stack, so I will gain about 4 inches! Thx for idea!!

69. mary says:

We foster as well and legally we're not allowed to put those doorknob locks on the inside of the door…in fact the only thing we're allowed to do is close the door and put a baby gate on the outside. That's it.